1. Friday, March 24, 2017 (11AM) George Mason Regional Library, 7001 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA invites you to a program on “150-Year History of Asian Residents in Fairfax County, VA” with Fairfax County Chairman Sharon Bulova, Author Corazon Sandoval Foley and members of the Fairfax County Asian American History Project. The program is part of the community service of folk dancing and local history seminars of the Burke/West Springfield Senior Center Without Walls (BWSSCWoW) Seniors Giving Back to Community that was awarded the 2016 Honorable Mention by the Virginia Commonwealth Council on Aging Best Practices Awards.
More information about the Virginia Women in History 2017 — a recognition of the Local History Seminars presented by BWSSCWoW Founding Chairman Corazon Sandoval Foley — is on website: https://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/vawomen/2017/ and http://scwow.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/170324AsianHistoryProjectFlyer.pdf
2. Tight Budget Situation in 2017 has meant that the BWSSCWoW request for rental payments for churches has been postponed. We have asked NCS to check if the other libraries (Kings Park and Burke Centre) might be willing to partner with NCS like Pohick Library so that we can continue expanding BWSSCWoW programs. We have also asked if NCS could arrange a partnership with South Run Park for BWSSCWoW senior programs during the time periods 10AM – 2PM when facilities are usually not being used.
1. Pohick Library Safer Floor for Senior Line Dancing. On Thursday, February 2, 2017, the renovated Pohick Library provided safer laminated flooring for the line dance classes of the Burke/West Springfield Senior Center Without Walls (BWSSCWoW). Many Thanks to Chairman Sharon Bulova who arranged for the laminated flooring and the Thursday programs at the renovated Pohick Library. I posted photos on Facebook of the 2/2/2017 Line Dancing Classes: https://www.facebook.com/Community4SpringfieldCenterSouthRunPark/posts/1849607131924545
2. Zumba Parking Note: For those participants registered for Tuesday and/or Thursday Zumba we have a parking update. Connor’s Pest Service has space for about 15 cars in their lot. To use those spaces please use the Connor’s drive way and park alongside the left hand side (as you face the building) of the building as well as behind the Connor’s building. Additionally, ENSCO, Connor’s neighbor has generously offered use of the parking spaces along their side of the Connor’s building (the right side of the building as you face it). There is also limited parking on Port Royal Rd. for “non commercial vehicles” which can be utilized. In all cases, please get a parking pass from the CWoW staff and place it on your dashboard, especially when parking at ENSCO. We have encouraged all participants to carpool, even from Ravensworth Shopping Center. See you all there soon!
170127 BWSSCWoW Update:
1. Monday, January 23, 2017 (10AM) Winter Registration for Classes at Kings Park Library Meeting Room.
Pohick Library reopened on January 7, 2017 so that the BWSSCWoW Thursday Line Dance Classes will move from Abiding Presence Lutheran Church as of February 2, 2017. Many Thanks to Abiding Presence Lutheran Church!!! Please note that the Zumba class has lost Pilgrim Church so the winter season will be at Connor’s Pest Service. We are also expanding our programs that would require more new spaces in the future. Qigong will be available thanks to Carol Ritter who will be teaching the class as a volunteer without requiring any teacher fee. Square dancing is also another program that we would like to add to BWSSCWoW selections, depending on finding more fitness space. Clearly, the Springfield Community Center at South Run Park is needed by seniors in our Burke/West Springfield area. www.facebook.com/Community4SpringfieldCenterSouthRunPark/
2. Kingstowne Travel Club offers great trips for seniors: https://www.facebook.com/kingstownecenterforactiveadults/
A. Planned Letter and Background Information on the BWSSCWoW Project of Springfield Community Center in South Run Park initiated by Chairman Sharon Bulova during April 13, 2016 Meeting: https://fairfaxstories.sharepoint.com/Pages/FY2020Referendum.aspx
B. International Folk Dancing Performances donated as FREE community service by Burke/West Springfield Senior Center Without Walls BWSSCWoW Seniors Giving Back to Community: Facebook Video1 and Facebook Video2 and Photos at 11/5 LRGSC ommunity Day and 11/17HerndonSC and https://fairfaxstories.sharepoint.com/Documents/160206BWSSCWoWInternationalFolkDance1.pdf and photos/video of December 9 and December 10 performances: 12/9 FCSCC Luncheon and 12/10 Irving MS Holiday Party. We hope that BWSSCWoW “Seniors Giving Back to Community: International Folk Dancing and Local History Seminars” will again be recognized in 2017 by the Virginia Commonwealth Council on Aging for our community service.
More information about the Virginia Women in History 2017 — a recognition of the Local History Seminars presented by BWSSCWoW Founding Chairman Corazon Sandoval Foley — is on website: https://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/vawomen/2017/
Thank you all for supporting senior health programs and permanent facility for Burke/West Springfield Senior Center Without Walls and fairness toward Springfield senior taxpayers and families: other districts have 17 permanent senior centers, Springfield District, NONE!
Best Regards. Corazon S. Foley http://scwow.org/about/ and www.facebook.com/Community4SpringfieldCenterSouthRunPark/ and www.facebook.com/Foley4SpringfieldSeniorCenter
How to Get Involved
Join the Coalition for the FY2020 Bond Referendum for the Springfield Community Center in South Run Park and LIKE Facebook webpage: www.facebook.com/
If you have an idea for a program, can volunteer or provide for activities, have a business or facility that would like to participate, or would be interested in supporting the Center Without Walls, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-250-9181.